Happy Birthday to me! That’s right, folks. Today I turn 32. My initial reaction is to whine about how old I’m getting, but seriously, 32 is not old. And when I look around at the life I’m leading, I have zero reasons to complain. I’m so grateful to have had another year with my family and friends!
I thought this would be a good opportunity to tell you a little bit more about me. I’m going to share some random facts that you may or may not have known. Perhaps you’ll learn something.
Survey says, this is me… Today I’m 32!
1. I’ve lived pretty much my entire life in and around Vancouver. There was a brief period of time when my family called Three Hills, Alberta home, but I was only a toddler. I lived in Surrey for 30 years, and now call Mission home.
2. As a child I took lessons in voice, dance, and theatre. My dream was to move to New York City and work as a Broadway Actress. I did a lot of stage in school and had an agent for the film industry, but realized I wasn’t willing to make the sacrifices needed to become an actor full time. I also considered being a TV journalist, but I’m not tough or competitive!
3. I’m super outgoing and sociable. I am the person who will strike up a conversation with anyone, and meeting people does not give me anxiety in the slightest. Furthermore, getting up in front of people is fun for me. I’ve never understood how someone can fear giving a speech.
4. It sounds strange but despite my personality, I deal with anxiety. My main fears are dental procedures, driving, and losing someone I love. I know for me it comes down to control. I’m scared of being unable to control the situation around me in regards to safety. That being said, I’m more of an adrenaline junkie than my husband.
5. I’m an optimist, a glass half full kind of gal. I have very little patience for negativity, self pity, and fakeness.
6. My junk food of choice is gummy candies and salt and vinegar chips. Milk chocolate is great too – especially if it’s imported from the UK. I can easily say no to ice cream, cake, or pastries and pies. I don’t crave them.
7. I love to bake! I actually love to cook too, but not when kids are crying at my feet. Being under pressure or not being able to solely focus on what I’m doing in the kitchen sucks out all the joy.
8. I wear cowgirl boots about 75% of the time. My grandpa on my Dads side was a genuine cowboy. I’m talking hat wearing, horseback riding, country talkin’ cowboy. To this day I still consider him one of the funniest guys I ever knew. It took me by surprise that my two year old daughter has such a love for horses too. I think it must be in our blood.
9. Travel is one of my biggest passions in life. I think it would be the coolest thing ever to travel full time with the kids, but my husband loathes the idea. I feel very much alive and connected to the rest of the world when on an airplane or driving across the country.
10. Speaking of my husband, we were engaged within three months of dating. We met in May 2007, began dating at the end of July, and were engaged early November. We got married in Hawaii after he finished University in Ontario.
11. We were originally suppose to have a destination wedding in Mexico, but a week before we were to leave, Canada banned all travel to the country because of the Swine Flu. We had to re-plan our entire wedding in about 48 hours. My Dad performed the ceremony and our reception was at a Lau’au.
12. I grew up in a very small and conservative church. There was no pastor and no instruments, but it was a tight knit group and very supportive. Leaving it was a hard thing, because a lot of people don’t and it was considered a big deal. It was ultimately the right decision for our family, but I have a lot of fond memories and love for all the people still there. We now go to a local church here in Mission and we’ve formed some beautiful friendships.
13. I’m kind of a nerd. I love dinosaurs, but they scare me. The ride at Disney World makes me cry, but I’ll see Jurassic World 2 on opening weekend. As a kid, I was obsessed with books about Egyptian Mummy’s. I was a massive Hanson fans as a young teenager. I even wrote for their official online magazine.
14. I love to read really enthralling novel and series, like Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Hunger Games. My favourite book of all time is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.
15. I love chick flick for movies, but prefer crime series like The Blacklist and Bones for TV shows. I also enjoy a good documentary or war film.
16. I really enjoy the sound of falling rain. I think snow is pretty, but I hate being cold, so I don’t enjoy playing in it. God designed me for milder temperatures.
17. Having kids made me a more confident person. I’m better than I use to be at setting boundaries and saying no to unacceptable behavior. I’m still very trusting and tend to get hurt by people because of this.
18. I am really excitable and emotional. I sing a lot, cry over commercials, and do stupid dances around the house. Basically, I’m Jess from New Girl. My six year old is just like me.
19. My music of choice is country. My favourite artists are Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, and Carrie Underwood. When I’m not listening to those, I’m probably playing Broadway soundtracks or Praise 106.5
20. I’m a Christian. I believe I’ll go to Heaven when I die, not because of what I’ve done or who I am, but because of who Jesus is. When I screw up, I feel the weight of that. I have a very guilty conscience. I try to live a life that is pleasing to God and it affects all the choices I’ve made in my life. If you want to take about that, feel free to message me.
I think that’s enough about me to digest for one year. Perhaps I’ll make this an annual thing. For now, I think I’ll go pour myself a glass of milk and eat one of the British chocolate bars my Mother gave me for my birthday. Today I’m 32, and I’m grateful to be happy and healthy.